Thursday, December 18, 2008

Nearly Settled Again

So I made it back without any major catastrophe, though it was a seriously annoying month and I won't be in a hurry to move country again. The trip itself went ok, apart from the van rental company putting the wrong fuel cap on the Transit, but it's nothing my mates boot and a wheel brace couldn't get the better of :-) Things nearly got ugly when we went to return the van though!
Also, if you're ever presented with opportunity to stay in one of those Forumla 1 hotels on the continent, DONT! What a nightmare. They're the Ryanair of hotels. You dont even get a toilet in your room, and ones in the hallway are like aeroplane toilets. They auto-lock when you're done and clean themselves. The dining facilities consist of a vending machine, and there's no staff on the premises between 6pm and 8am!
Eventually we made it to the boat, despite the French motorways which have absolutely no lighting or visual aids and are pretty lethal after dark imo. The new Irish Ferries ship is really nice, much better than the one that went before it. Much cleaner and smoother and the facilities on board are much better. We went for the 5 star suite cabin just to make the journey a bit more tolerable and it was sweet.
Back to poker, I only got settled in the new house last week and I'm currently just using a neighbour's wireless internet. NTL are coming tomorrow to install the 20MB package. I played about 1500 hands and I suppose I'm just using the rest of December to get back into things. I think the months break did me a lot of good, and I'm thinking much clearer now, but obviously I'm very rusty in certain spots. I've been posting a few hands on boards each day and I'll keep that up for a while until I'm on top of the basics again. Pretty annoying hand yesterday where I misclick opened 55 on the button to $46 and then the SB who's already gotten ATo in against me with no history shoved. It was obvious he was trying it on and I think I had to call it off but I had no luck vs his KQs! I should get one more update in before the year is out.

No comments: