Monday, February 23, 2009

La Cucaracha

Still on my self imposed exile from cash, but I wasn't going to skip the Everest VIP freerolls yesterday. There are 2 with one ($10k) being open to almost anyone who grinds a bit and one ($25k) for only the top tiers of the VIP structure. I had to grind 40k hands of 1/2 and 2/4 to get into it. I assumed there would be no more than 50 people in this, but I forgot about the SNG and full ring guys, and it ended up with 120 runners. Still decent value getting effectively a $200 buyin for nothing. As you can imagine it was an incredibly tough field with 100% regulars and not an easy chip on offer.
In the 2nd orbit (1500 stack 10/20 blinds), EP made it 65 and I 3bet from the BB to 210 with AA. He calls and flop is Jxx. I bet ~300, he calls, I shove turn he calls with JJ...I'm left with 110 or 5bb. GG, FU very much. For some reason I didn't tilt shove the rest of my chips in and picked proper spots and hung around for a good while. but never got anything going and lost a reasonably big pot and was down to 2bb at the 150/300 level when I shipped A5o in MP and BB called with KK. I spiked an A and with the antes I was up to about 6bb. Shortly afterwards I shoved it into the BB from SB with AK and he called with AJ and I held and I was now 'comfortable'.
From the time there were about 40 left (10 paid) I was really struggling all the way. I never had more than 15bb and as the bubble approached I was very uneasy as I don't have a ton of experience in playing those situations. I was pretty sick with 12 left when SB shoved and I called with KQ. He showed J4 and flopped a 4, but the board ran straight for a chop and I hung on just about.
I relaxed a lot at the FT and went in about 6th in chips 10 handed. Again I think I picked my spots very well and my patience was an asset, though there may have been something to be said for being a little more aggressive and trying to set myself up for a win. I got to 4 handed with 25k and another guy had the same, with the 2 other guys having about 65k. This lasted for an absolute as neither me or the other shortie were willing to give it up. Eventually he capitulated and there was a break with me on 28k and the other guys on about 80k and 70k. with the blinds at 1.5l/3k. Maybe 4 hands after the break I picked up 77 in the BB and the SB pushed with AK and hit his A to send me out in 3rd for a payday of $3125. I wasn't even a little bit annoyed which was good, though $5k for 2nd would've been nice!

It's such a ridiculous game. I'm totally at my wit's end with it having a terrible month and only up about $400 and then this score comes along, just as I was perfectly happy hating poker and making other plans! The break from cash is definitely a good idea. Hopefully I can approach it in a more positive mindset come March when I start back. I'm going to play on ongame to see what its like. I think the VIP deals available equate to about 40-50% rakeback which is probably good for a variance-phobe like me, coz even when things are going shit at least you've got something coming in!

Actually scrap that, I'm gonna become a tourney pro!

GL.

2 comments:

El_Stuntman said...

if you think Everest is rigged, just wait until you see Ongame...seriously

The Consigliere said...

Looks like you've seen the light - tournies > cash no question! (Lol, dont want to start that debate) Best of luck with the break - that run must have been soulcrushing to go through.